Re: Permeability of Free Paint

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Permeability of Free Paint
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 21:49:44 -0400
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Malcolm Walker wrote:

>                ~snip~
>
> ...and I've got a lot of Testors model paint kicking around...  even in
> the metallic green that the car already is.  Not exact but enough to blend
> the scars.
>
> Anyone know if Testors enamel will keep rust at bay?
>      ~snip~
>
> -Malcolm

Malcolm,

    Testors paint is a pretty weak enamel.  I beleive it most likely is "aklyd"
enamel.  Aklyd enamel is weak in the sense that ultraviolet light and chemicals
break it down quickly.  It also takes forever to completely cure.
  I have personally been able to completely remove it from parts I've brushed it
on with Brake-Clean, after it had been left to dry for a week.  Brake- Clean is
a relatively mild chemical cleaner.  Also it ( the Testors paint) will prove to
be
a weak base, as it disolves into or reacts with (can you say "lifting", i.e.
wrinkling)
any laquer type primer you may put on top of it.
 That said, I guess you can use it, if you intend to spray undercoating on top
of it
I guess it would over SOME protection.  It definately will protect bare metal
from
rust- just don't spary any carb or brake clean on it- but if you do, whatever
you do
don't wipe it off, just let it and the paint "re-dry" in place. Good Luck.

                                                     JOE IV
                                                     TR 250
                                          WALLINGFORD, CT. USA