Winter Driving TR4

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Winter Driving TR4
From: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 08:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Y'all,

I'm leaving the list for awhile, moving to the wet-side of
Washington--Seattle.  "Sun? What sun?"  Took the GT6 over a few weeks ago
where it did the 300+miles well save a leaky brake master.  Whoa car,
whoa.  Followed the U-haul in the TR4 on the weekend, damn ugly staring at
box on wheels for the whole way.  Drove back another 300 today to finish a
paper and wrap up loose ends, and then 300 more planned today back to
Seattle.

I like my TR4, it is a tough little car.  Most of the time.  There was a
thread about MG's in the snow not long ago, but I was too busy to jump in,
so here's a Story to sing a little praise for the LBC's.

In '92 I decided to move to Pullman, WA from Utah to chase an education or
something like that, and had to sell my winter Triumph, a '80 TR7
drophead.  Sigh.  That left me with the TR4 as the only car.  That
Christmas I drove it home the 650 miles back to Utah over some of the
narrow, twisty mountain roads to Boise, then on the interstate the rest of
the way.  I left to return to Pullman on New Year's Day in a big storm.  I
had studs on the back and the car handled the snow well.  Anyway, I left
at 5 am wearing most of the clothes I packed, plus an extra blanket on my
lap.  I got home at 1am the next day.   20 hours of very slow and
deliberate driving through some awful blizzard conditions, heavy snow pack
and wind.  The car handled it much better than I did.  I didn't drive for
over a week after that.  The trip usually takes about 10.5 hours, and the
only time the car has left me hanging on the dozens of times I've done
that ride is when the fuel pump lever pin slid out of place.  It took
about half an hour to fix that.  Other than that, it seems to know when
I'm close to home for the major failures.  Quite nice of it.

Thanks to all for the input and enjoyment.  It is comforting to know that
there are other extremists, um, enthusiasts out there.

Jim

Jim Densley

61 TR4  CT757L
69 GT6+  KC54071LO