Re: Winter Driving TR4

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: Winter Driving TR4
From: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:12:08 -0400
Cc: James Densley <jamesd@wsunix.wsu.edu>, Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Cameron Greig wrote:

> >The trip usually takes about 10.5 hours, and the
> >only time the car has left me hanging on the dozens of times I've done
> >that ride is when the fuel pump lever pin slid out of place.  It took
> >about half an hour to fix that.
>
> Same thing happened to me in my TR2 in the middle of the night,deep snow
> on the A6 Cumbria.Put the pin back in,never did it again,stange these
> failures that happen once and never happen again.
>
> Cameron (Scotland)

I've had that experience as well on my '72 TR6.  The car died suddenly
due to no fuel, that kind of instant dead situation where you say 'this
is definately not good'.  I had just had gotten the car back on the road
from an engine rebuild and hadn't but the tools back the truck.  Called
a tow truck who towed me to Sears (which was a lot closer than my
house), bought some wrenches and a hammer.  Pulled out the pump and put
it back together, started it up and drove home.... well almost.  The pin
popped out again so the second time I upset some material on the housing
at the end of the pin to wedge it in place.  It's been about 2 years
since with no problem!

Dana
'72 TR6