Re: Hood Webbing

To: mmason@lindenwood.edu
Subject: Re: Hood Webbing
From: "Robert M. Lang" <LANG@ISIS.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:54:16 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I'll go out on a limb here... no, you probably don't need the webbing, but
it was out there for a reason. It maintains the spacing between the bows
when you erect the hood. I would venture to guess that in the absence of
the webbing, it would be easy to get the hood "up" and the rear-most bow
might be aligned in the middle of those little triangular windows... at
least this is what happens to me because I didn't replace the webbing when
I did my top 10 years ago...

Spend the $20 or so and do it right.

I'm pretty sure you can install the web after the top is on, but it's a
$&!^load easier before you glue the top on... and the lower edge has to
connect to the little "rail" that bolts to the rear "shelf"... that one has
some kind of pin thingie holding it together. The hardest part of doing
this job "right" would be if the rivets that hold the retainer thingies on
needed to be drilled out. You'd have to balloon the top out toward the back
of the car to get the space to get a drill in there... I can't remember how
the front edge connects, but that end might involve drilling some rivets...
it's all a blur.

On second thought, leave it alone.

;-)

Besides, if your a _real man_ (tm) then you don't put the top up anyway,
right?

double ;-)

See ya,
rml