RE: Insurance in NJ for a TR

To: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Insurance in NJ for a TR
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:34:24
At 06:13 PM 5/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 04:53 PM 5/11/98, you wrote:
>
>Jacks experience about insurance says...
>
>>You have a couple of choices:
>>1. Buy from the collector companies.  Cheap rates, $100/yr, but you can
>>only use the car to/from shows, etc. and joy rides.  No trips to work, a
>>buddies house, the 7-11, or to a restaurant for dinner.  The joy rides are
>>with no destination, only a joy ride, per Haggerty.  Yes, this can be
>>stretched, but what if you get hit, where you weren't supposed to be?
>
>I'm not so sure I follow about the "where you weren't supposed to be" part.
> I really don't see myself as driving to work in the TR3, nor in the rain,
>etc, but if i get whacked going to 7-11, I could just as well be "on the
>way home from or to" a joy ride.  I don't understand the joy ride part.
>How does it exclude a run to the store for milk?

According to my conversations with Haggerty, YES, a trip to the 7-11 for
milk is excluded.  You are not simply driving for the enjoyment of owning
your classic vehicle, you are using it as a regular vehicle.  They were
non-commital on my stopping at a 7-11 because the hot sun made me thirsty
on my joy ride.  Basically, my interpretation is that if you get into an
accident with a bag of grocieries in the car, they would have a case
against you.  A single bottle of Coke, however, I would hope is just
stopping for a drink.

I like to be able to go out to see friends or for dinner or ice cream with
my wife and kids  and be able to leave the car, usually where I can see it,
but I know it is covered, regardless.  You can't do that with collector
insurance.

Call one of the collector car insurers and ask very direct questions.  I
felt Haggerty was less than straight forward with me and I didn't ask
enough questions.  I bought the coverage and learned what the restrictions
were when I received the policy. In their defense however, I was extremely
anxious to get the car on the road and probably heard mostly what I wanted
to hear.

I took my car to work several times last year.  It's a nice change of pace,
and you get to impress, or mystify, your co-workers.  Some people never
understand the LBC thing, but many appreciate and recall the look, smell
and feel of a classic.

<snip>

>Good advice, but almost three time the price... altho in NJ, as you know,
>anything less than a grand is a bargain. And I like the idea about buying
>extra miles.

Parrish is looking for collectors, with nice cars.  They, from what I can
tell, don't want clunkers (knackered eh, Rich J.), or rough rolling
restorations.  You do need to have more cars than drivers; they want to be
sure it is not a regular driver.  Yes, it is almost three times the price,
but we drive it a lot during the summer, to/from local stuff.  It's a lot
more fun than a "regular" car.  You are paying for that flexibility of use.
 Again, call the collector insurance companies and call Parrish.

<snip>

RE: New Jersey Triumph Association
See my seperate post, to follow within a day or so.

BTW - I ommitted my disclaimer from the first post.  I have no interest in
Parrish, other than a satisfied customer, happy with the coverage, but no
claim yet.  I don't believe anyone on the list has had a claim with them
yet.  Incidentally, I believe, Dave Parrish started this coverage because
he, and his Cobra club buddies, couldn't find affordable coverage that let
them "drive" their cars.

Good luck!

Jack