RE: Insurance in NJ for a TR

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Insurance in NJ for a TR
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:56:44
>I intend to buy a TR3 very soon.  The problem is I live in New Jersey,
>where insurance is generally outrageous.
>
>Is there someone here who can give specific help?

Dave,

You have a couple of choices:

1. Buy from the collector companies.  Cheap rates, $100/yr, but you can
only use the car to/from shows, etc. and joy rides.  No trips to work, a
buddies house, the 7-11, or to a restaurant for dinner.  The joy rides are
with no destination, only a joy ride, per Haggerty.  Yes, this can be
stretched, but what if you get hit, where you weren't supposed to be?

2. Buy from your regular insurance co.  big $$$$'s, even with New Jersey
Manufacturers, my regular company.

3. Call Parrish Motorsports, Nashville, TN  615-292-0043.  Drive the car
for up to 2,500 miles/yr at your discretion.  They believe that you know
where you should and shouldn't drive or leave the car.  My TR3 in Bergen
County, NJ is $286/yr, at a $10,000 agreed value.  BTW - you can buy more
miles if you need them.

Also, the emmisions test for our vintage, 1960, is pretty easy.  Mine has
passed for the last several years with no problems.  You may want to
consider regular plated, versus QQ-plates, until the new collector plate is
issued.

You don't want a 6 month policy.  I drove on New Years Day this year, and
had the car back out when the little bit of salt from the winter was gone.
Yeah, it was cold on New Years Day, but it sure was nice   :-)

BTW - Do you know about New Jersey Triumph Association?

Good luck.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A, TS69032L