Re. Clutching at Straws-Creeping TR

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re. Clutching at Straws-Creeping TR
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:42:08 +0100
Hi, Wayne,

I don't have any experience of thrust bearing problems-yet. To check the
hydraulics, try these....

1. Is fluid being pushed out of the reservoir? A small amount on top was the
giveaway of primary seal failure on both my clutch and brake masters. Having
the pedal pushed changed the level in the cylinder as I watched.

2. Does the clutch just drag or will the car set off after a time with the
pedal held down? Should the latter be happening, the problem's almost
certainly hydraulic.

3. Have someone press the clutch pedal while you look at the slave cylinder.
If the pushrod comes out and then starts retreating, the problem is
definitely hydraulic.

4. If it's clutch drag, the problem may not be in the thrust bearing
linkage. The driven plate could be buckled and/or sticking on its centre
splines. With his experience, Mike should be able to tell you more about
this.

I've been getting primary seal failure quite badly of late. One of the seal
kits was made of much harder rubber than the originals-I've now got a
genuine Lockheed seal kit which is noticeably softer. This 'hard' seal kit
failed after just 4 weeks and the master bore was absolutely perfect.

Good Luck,
Dave Hill