Re: Dyno explanation

To: jbonina@nectech.com
Subject: Re: Dyno explanation
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 20:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 6 May 1998 jbonina@nectech.com wrote:

> Can someone point me to  site that explains what Dynomometer testing is?

A dyno is like a bit set of rollers.  You drive the car onto it so that
the drive wheels are nestled between 2 rollers.  Then the body/frame is
anchored so that the car can't move, and it's "driven in place"

The brake horsepower of the car (at the wheels) can be discovered this
way, and therefore maximized.  Tune the car while it's under power until
you have the most HP/torque.

Naturally a dyno is used in conjunction with engine analyzers and the
like.  I can't think of a website offhand that describes how and why they
work, but try the search engines (www.altavista.digital.com) and see what
turns up.

-Malcolm