Re: Prime or unprime, that is the question

To: jay pollmann <thorfinnxx@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Prime or unprime, that is the question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 20:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 6 May 1998, jay pollmann wrote:

> This winter, as I disassembled my spitfire and stripped each piece of
> it's old paint, I sprayed primer on some of the pieces to prevent
> surface rust(everything but the hood and tub.) I used a can primer

I have found that primer won't stop the car from rusting.  It's porous.
If in doubt then spray the primer onto some junk sheetmetal or plywood and
spray sealer over top; if it bubbles up or acts funny, then you'll need to
strip it off.  If it hardens OK then I'd say that the two paints are
compatible.

-Malcolm