Re: How to identify a coil?

To: chansen@exis.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How to identify a coil?
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:48:19 EDT
In a message dated 5/6/98 9:18:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, chansen@exis.net
writes:

> Any way to tell without a serious voltmeter whether
>  this coil is of the 40000 volt variety or the more tame 20000 ilk?
>  If its 40K I need to regap those plugs.

Cliff,

I don't know of any certain way to tell, but there is good news!  You don't
*have* to regap the plugs.  The 20KV plug gap will work just fine, but you
just won't get the benefit of the 40KV if that's what you have.  The 40KV coil
will act like a 20KV coil.  For more info on this, go to:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74