Re: Vickie Brit dashboards and gauge bezels

To: Scott Decker <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Vickie Brit dashboards and gauge bezels
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 18:19:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott Decker wrote:

> Anyone familiar with the quality of VB's 'walnut' dashes?  My dash is
> trashed beyond repair (veneer is gone in many areas) and, frankly, I'd just
> like to replace it.  Does it approximate the OE color, is it shiny or matte
> finish, how is the build quality?
>
> One other note:  I'd like to use chrome bezels on my gauges instead of the
> OE black ones.  My older 68 GT6 had chrome, which I prefer.  My question is
> whether or not the bezels are interchangable between models.  Surely they
> are the same size and thread?  Just wondering.  Post replies to the list if
> warranted, or reply to my e-mail if this has been kicked around before.
>
> TIA for your help,
>
> Scott Decker
> 70 GT6+ KD79034L

Scott:

Note that a solid piece of walnut, in the thickness required here, may
crack or warp unless the manufacturer really knows what he's doing.
This is why the original dash is made of plywood -- not because Triumph
tried to save money.  The plywood laminate offers greater strength than
a solid piece.

Consider what I just did -- reveneering the piece.  I went to a
hardwoods dealer and bought a veneer (cherry, actually ... looks great)
for a few bucks and, after sanding off the old veneer, applied it with
contact cement.  Used an x-acto knife to trim the edges and cut out the
gauge holes.  A couple coats of poly, and the job is done.  Saves you a
lot of money (you'll have to do the dash removal and reinstall anyway),
and takes only about four hours.  E-mail me for details, or check out
Art Kelly's VTR webside article (www.vtr.org) in the maintenance
section.

--
Martin Secrest