Re: Why Corvairs?

To: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Subject: Re: Why Corvairs?
From: Jim Bauder <JimBPPS@att.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 09:59:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill,

Thank you for your well written comments regarding the
Corvair. I am in complete agreement. The Corvairs were
fun, reliable, and economical.

I had to sell my first TR3 a '57, due to the birth of my son.
We chose a '63 Corvair Spyder convertible owned by a
friend who wanted to get into British cars. We didn't trade
but we almost did. We rallyed, gymcanna'd (spl'g?) and
drove the Corvair from Memphis to California, with a baby, a
whole bunch of luggage and housewares.  It was a good
choice and I miss it still. The turbo really made a diference
in cruise and passing accelleration.

I traded it in on a new Camaro when they came out in '67.
Not a mistake, but not a great move either. Oh well!

It took me several more years to get back into TR's and I
have had at least one of them almost constantly since '67. I
haven't driven a Corvair since I traded it, but I look at them
with envy whenever I see one, especially a Spyder
convertible.

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 in boxes
Palo Alto, CA