Re: Why Corvairs?

To: William.Elliott@mail.mei.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why Corvairs?
From: Rikrock <Rikrock@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 02:05:11 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-30 23:55:01 EDT, William.Elliott@mail.mei.com writes:

<< Technically and historically, they are
 one of the most interesting American cars ever.  First rear engine, first
 extensive use of aluminum, first modern air-cooled engine, first high
 production turbocharged car, first common use of floor shift and bucket seats
 in a non-sports car.

  In 1965, the entire car was redone,
 resulting in a fully independent suspension similar to the Corvette. Handling
 is world-class.

 They were the kind of cars America should have built in the 70's, but didn't.
 If you get a chance to drive one sometime,
 give it a try.  (Only a handful in Oz....  never made any RHD models.)

 Corvairs were completely exonerated after years of  investigations and court
 cases in 1972, three years after production ended.

 I guess in summary: the technical and historical aspects, the "underdog"
image,
 the uniqueness, and the sheer driving enjoyment.  Did I mention they're
 extremely undervalued as well?  They tend to multiply.

Bill,

Well said!!

I have always thought that the Corvair never got the respect it deserved.  As
you point out, it really was quite remarkable from a technical standpoint.  I
had a 65, 140 horse Monza.  I drove it for about a year, in the early 70's.

Back then, the trick setup for all the muscle car people was to use the
mufflers from the turbo-Corvair.  Run the 2-1/2" pipe from the headers back to
the turbo mufflers, which had the 2-1/2" size on the "in" end of the muffler,
and the same size, or maybe 2-1/4", I can't remember for sure, on the "out"
end.  You ended up with a nice, large diameter exhaust system without having
to resort to glasspacks.  I used one of those mufflers on my TR-4A for a long
time!

In the current issue of Hemmings, there is a 66 Yenko Stinger convertible for
sale.  Asking price is $32,500!!

Rich Rock
64 TR4
65 TR4A-IRS