Re: Chrome

To: rfeibusch@loop.com
Subject: Re: Chrome
From: m_conrad@juno.com (Michael R Conrad)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 20:52:56 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
   I feel the need to add my .02 to the great chrome debate.  I deal with
chrome plated rolls used to apply glue to surfaces to be laminated.
Chrome can be plated directly on steel surfaces, I have had rolls done
this way.  Some chrome platers feel that a layer of nickel should be used
between the steel and chrome as a moisture barrier.  I have rolls that
have been done both ways and run 24 hours a day with no problems.  We
also use carbon steel scraper blades that wipe the glue off but don't
scratch the surface, chrome is HARD. Chrome can be polished, but it is
done using a grinding wheel and a lubricating oil spray.  It is a very
slow process, when I have a roll polished it takes about two days, and
removes less than .001 of chrome.

Mike Conrad
58 & 60 TR3, 62 TR4