Re: Modern radio for TR4

To: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Modern radio for TR4
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:51:09 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Dennis Barr wrote:

> I am sure I missed this before, but I would like to install a good
> modern radio/cd/tape etc. in my 1963 TR4 . Can I purchase positive
> ground radios, or do I have to "mess" with Dr. Lucas ?

Mess with Dr. Lucas.  He doesn't mind.

My car once had a neg. earth radio in a positive earth car.  (warning!
fable ahead)  It had a rubber cover around it to stop the case from
shorting out onto the metal under the dash etc.

Also it was somehow wired into the horn system, so that if it DID get
grounded it would sound the horns.  A primitive security (?) device.

The car then got stolen (this is 15+ years ago)... and when the theives
tried to hot-wire it they fried the wiring harness; not knowing it was a
positive earth car.  The car was found about 100 miles later... there
weren't too many powder blue TR4s bopping around at the time.

This is before I had even set eyes on it; 'twas only but 9 year ago that I
first saw it (still powder blue!)

Now it's green, negative earth, and equipped with a GM alternator.  Once
the starter is overhauled/replaced, I don't think I'll have much to worry
about in the electrics dep't.  I also have a Pioneer Super Tuner radio...

I suggest getting a radio with the 2 knobs and using a discman or jukebox
if you want to hear CDs.

-Malcolm