Re: Mk. II spit overdrive trine

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Mk. II spit overdrive trine
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:26:51 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Scott Hall wrote:

> I'll bet our Vt. president and small chassis expert knows this one...  how
> 'bout it Andy?...

I appreciate your faith in me, Scott! I'll try, but I'm not absolutely
sure. Nonetheless:

> > I have a line on an early o/d tranny with the o/d unit.  I want to put it
> > in my mk. II, non-o/d car.  questions:
> >
> > 1. I know about the driveshaft and wiring switch I'll need.  do I need
> any
> > other hardware to make the swap, like a frame member, or brace?

There is a different rear transmission mount for the OD trans.

> > 2. the tranny I'm looking at has a _very_ rusted input shaft.  it comes
> > with a non-o/d tranny with a good input shaft.  the input shafts are the
> > same from o/d to non-o/d, right?

I believe so, so long as the two transmissions are of similar vintage and
"series" (both FC prefix, or FD, or...)

> > 3. the current owner can't verify the non-o/d tranny's year, but thinks
> > it's an early one.  are the early and late input shafts interchangeable
> > (probably not, right?)

I think probably NOT, particularly if one is an all-synchro (FH series
three-rail) and one is earlier (FC or FD series with synchro only on top
three gears).

> > 4. is it the tranny gear ratios that are different, or the rear end, or
> > both (from the o/d to the non-o/d)?

Again within the same series, the only difference is the gear reduction
provided by the OD unit itself. The gearbox ratios and the differential
ratios did not change when OD was added to the Spitfire.

Note that gearbox ratios did change across the various series: see
<http://www.vtr.org/maintain/gearbox-ratios.html> for the "number"!

> > 5. does anyone know the weight of the transmission (for shipping
> purposes)?

Maybe 70 lbs; maybe a bit less. (Add about 26 lbs, though, for the
cast-iron bellhousing and only about 8 lb. if you're lucky enough to have
an early Herald-style aluminum bellhousing).

--Andy