Re: GT-250?

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>, "Joseph Sholtes" <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: GT-250?
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:51:52 -0800
Cc: <msecres@ibm.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
> From: Michael D. Porter <mdporter@rt66.com>
> To: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
> Cc: msecres@ibm.net; triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: GT-250?
> Date: Wednesday, February 25, 1998 11:54 PM
>

> Joseph Sholtes wrote:
> >
> > Martin,
> >
> >    Too hard.  Just throw the whole damn TR 6 engine
> > in there.  And thow a set of webers at it. Now were
> > talkin...
>
> Doesn't fit that well (see messages to Martin), and there's another
> problem with Webers--they don't fit. Front carb binds the bonnet. I hear
> someone made or still makes a manifold which drops the front carb, but
> I've never seen it.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> My other Triumph runs, but....

Fellow Modifiers...

I'll second Michael's previous posting as correct, but the part about the
Webers and manifolds is not quite right. Not only is the front carb lowered
about an inch, the second carb is also about half an inch lower too. The
rear carb is indeed a "straight shot". The manifolds are still available
from Triumph Tune (and probably others), but do not buy a TR6 setup and
expect it to work. About the time you've spent all day (and a six pack)
installing the setup and gettin it runnin, you'll drop the bonnet and
imediately hate yourself when the front carb puts a major "ding" in the
center, right where you'll always see it. This will also happen if you try
to use the late TR6 strombergs and manifold. Yes, the LATE TR6 manifold
will bolt onto the GT6 head (don't ask me, blame Triumph), but you simply
can
not gain enough clearance.

King of the "dings" ...
      Nick in Nor Cal