Re: Dual carbs found on Spitfire

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Dual carbs found on Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:40:22 -0800
Cc: DTait44495 <DTait44495@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andy and Dave,
I agree with the summary you gave, Andy.  Some data I have come across
indicates that there were a few MkIV-1500 cars produced.  If this is so,
I'd bet that the engine was (and maybe still is) from such a vehicle,
judging by its early serial number.  The carbs are likely from a Mk3
since the manifold would also have to be changed as well.  The only one
that would fit the 1500 head would be form the early 1296 (Mk3 engine).

I am puzzled by the generator, since I believe all MkIV's and later were
equipped with alternators.  Why anybody would go to the trouble of back
dating the electrical system escapes me.

BTW, My own 1500 engine has the dual 1.25" SU's but has an alternator.

Regards,
Joe Curry

--
"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible
 to travel across the country coast to coast without seeing