Re: HELP RE: TR7!

To: Starr61871@aol.com
Subject: Re: HELP RE: TR7!
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:07:57 +1100 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 17:43 25/02/98 EST, you wrote:
>1.  The gears (5sp) are really tight and hard to shift, esp 2 and 4.  is this
>a characteristic of the car, the newness of the transmission, or a mistake on
>our part?
>2.  How many bolts holds up the rear of the transmission?   we think we got it
>wrong!
>3.  What is a good manual for this car?  We have a Haynes and do not like it.
>Any suggestions?

Starr,

I've had my '78 for 10 yrs (off-road 5 yrs). I've done no tranny work,
though some of the synchros are showing their age.

1. I used to find 2nd hard to get on cold mornings: fixed it with Castrol
(VMX I think) gearbox oil.

2. Not sure what you mean: there a 4 bolts (2/side) on the cross-brace at
the back, and one long one with a huge spacer that locates the rubber/steel
mounting.

3. I was happy with Haynes for years. I've also got a '75 factory manual,
bit I can't always use it, because of changes since '75. I don't know of any
other manuals.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia