Re: Tune-up time

To: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Subject: Re: Tune-up time
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:32:52 -0600
Cc: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
My quick $.02 worth...

1. It's very probable that leaning out the carbs won't solve your problem.
When you say plugs show running rich, are they black and wet looking, or dry,
sooty black (cold-fouled)?  There are many possibilities re: the solution,
depending on whether they're cold-fouling or oil-fouled.  Everything from
leaking valve guides, bad rings, or too much timing retard if they are
cold-fouled.

Sorry for adding confusion, but unfortunately the idea to lean out the carbs is
often a mis-diagnosis, and can cause other problems if you are running too
lean.

2. That's the one, if it is equivalent to the Wix 51516, which I'm pretty sure
it is.
In fact, I believe Wix makes the NAPA filters.  Has bypass valve and
anti-drainback valve.

3. I would use 90w gear oil of GL4 type.  (Please, not starting the GL4 vs. GL5
thread again - remember this is my opinion.)  Sta-Lube GL4 in 80W90 is
available at most conventional parts stores.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire