Re: Tune-up time

To: lchillin@siu.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tune-up time
From: "Antony P. Norris" <antony@norris.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:28:40 +0000
My comments, for what they are worth.......

You should use the special tool on the Strombergs, as it is possible to
damage them without.
This is not a "Triumph" part, but you should be able to get it at any
good car accessories shop. I found mine under "Mini Cooper carb
adjustment tool" - the tool fits any car with a Stromberg carb.

The tool has a hollow tube with a long Allen key in the centre. The
Allen key screws the needle up or down, "richening" or "leaning" the
running mixture respectively. (The idle mixture is set seperately)

The hollow tube with the T-handle holds the piston (in which the needle
sits) in place to prevent it turning and causing damage.

I can't remember the exact design, but if the piston twists, it could
break the rubber diaphragm or if the piston is non symetrical, the bore
in which it travels.

Regards

Antony P. Norris - Skipton, UK
antony@norris.prestel.co.uk