GT6 an K and N Filters

To: "'msecers@ibm.net'" <msecers@ibm.net>
Subject: GT6 an K and N Filters
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:48:33 -0600
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Martin, and list,

I have had succes with K and N filters IN the stock box.  Actually, not quite
stock.  You may find replacement elements specifically for GT's but mine were
given to me by a friend with a bugeye.  They were designed for the 1.5" su
(originally fitted to a racing midget) and are thicker than a stock filter.
But, since the diameter is the same they can be fitted inside the stock
housing.  I then sealed the perimeter with duct tape (ya, shiny silver foil 'd
been better but hey, it was a race weekend....).

I diasagree on the non-air box point.  Hot air really saps these cars,
especially on the Mk 3's with no vents. Consider the diameter of the hoses vs
the carb intake.  They are similar (I used vacuum cleaner hose but a smooth
hose would be better for air flow, also the fewer turns the better) so any
restrictions would then come from the filter.  Since you would then be using
the K&N's, there wouldn't be any there either.

They sound really good too but   that's one thing you give up bu running the
airbox.

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg
no stupid adventures lately, just my dad's borrowed van stolen from where the
GT would have been.