Tonneau Covers for TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tonneau Covers for TR6
From: William Smith <wlsmith@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:00:29 -0500
I just purchased a new Robbins tonneau cover for my "72 TR6 from The
Roadster Factory.  When I unpacked it, I found that it only came with 17
metal snaps (in addition to the four "lift the dot" snaps that attach to
the top of the dash).  The packaging of 17 such snaps by the
manufacturer was intentional since the parts list with the cover stated
that there were 17 snaps enclosed.

The problem is that my car (which is original, I am the original owner,
and I still have the original convertable top) has 19 snaps!  In
addition, when I bought my car in 1972, I bought an Amco tonneau cover
which, at that time, had the snaps pre-installed.  That cover had
nineteen snaps and fit my car perfectly.

Roadster factory is being very nice about it and are sending me the two
additional snaps free of charge.  However, I am curious.

  Did any TR6's come originally with only 17 snaps?
  If so, what years?
  If so, from where were the two snaps omitted?  My car has 3 snaps
on     each door and 13 on the convertable top.

Also in a previous thread on TR6 tonneau covers, the was a discussion
about a strap on the cover which snaps onto a snap at the side of the
passenger seat.  Again, although my car is original, I have no such snap
on the passenger seat, and my Amco cover had no strap.  What year(s) did
Triumph put those snaps on?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity.

Bill Smith