Re: TR6 ZS carb problems

To: TR6 list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 ZS carb problems
From: Jim Davis <jhdavis@fia.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:49:06 -0500
Chad,
First I'd remove the air valve and insure the needles were installed
properly and that as a datum point, the brass portion of the needle is
flush with the bottom of the air valve. Make sure the mating surfaces of
the air valve, diaphragm retaining ring and top cover assembly are clean
and that the diaphragm fits properly in the groves of the air valve and top
cover to insure an air tight seal. Check that the fast idle cam is fully
home. Make sure there is oil in the dashpots. Check that all the vacuum
fittings are tight or plugged and that all the carb mounting bolts are
tight. Be sure to check the banjo fitting on the intake balance bar and
that the brake servo hose is a tight fit at both ends  If all is well
there, remember to loosen the coupling assembly when balancing the carbs so
that one can be adjusted independent of the other. Using the Unisyn, rubber
tube or whatever method, insure equal amounts of air are are entering each
carb and then tighten the coupling bolts. Remove the vacuum tube at the
distributor and make sure there is a good vacuum from the hose. When you
remove the hose there should be an increase in RPM's if the vacuum retard
is functioning properly. Assuming the timing and dwell are close to where
they should be, you should be able to get a 900RPM idle. If not, you might
want to pull the carbs and go through them to be sure your friend didn't
mess something up internally during his rebuild.
Hope this helps,
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO