TR6 ZS carb problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 ZS carb problems
From: Chad Stretz <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:30:03 -0600
Cc: "Amy (Tony) Black (Zager)" <amyjo@tranquility.net>
The thread on Unisyns lead me to this:

Last night my friend brought his 71 TR6 over for a carb adjustment.  He
had just replaced his needles, and re-adjusted his floats. For some
reason, I had to back out the idle  adjustment screw on the rear carb
all the way to keep the engine from racing.   When I backed out the
front carb screw to try to balance them  the engine stalled.

The beast misfired horribly, and lifting the air pistons on both carbs
revealed a lean mixture.  No amount of adjustment would cure this
completely.  The chokes were closed as far as I knew.

 ISTR the throttle shafts being in pretty good condition, so I don't
think they were a factor here. (I'll gladly check them again if I need
to.)

Before I started messing with the carbs, I checked the timing.  I went
from about 9 degrees BTDC to 4 degrees ATDC with no appreciable
difference.   The vacuum retard is connected.

Am I missing something obvious here?  I've read the article on carb
adjustment in the VTR maintanence pages, but if anyone would like to
comment I'd really appreciate it!

I'm starting to suspect the bypass valves simply because I don't fully
understand what they do!  Temperature compensators?

In the corner wearing a dunce cap,

Chad Stretz
73 TR6
CF7511U that except for poor gas mileage, runs fine after the same
adjustment!