Re: TR2000 A Type OD in TR6

To: owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, The.4.Rodgers@xtra.co.nz
Subject: Re: TR2000 A Type OD in TR6
From: Peter.Hore@dhs.vic.gov.au
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 98 14:40:28 +1100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, trsngolf@flash.net

>I think that the input shafts on TR6 and 2000 boxes may differ, and the
>TR6 overdrive has more balls to cope with the torque (esp. in 150 bhp PI
>state) including stronger accumulator spring, for instance.

Yes, the major difference to contend with when swapping a complete transmission
and OD from a sedan  into a TR6, is the different sizes of the
transmission/gearbox input shaft.

The TR6 input shaft is much bigger and stronger, and the TR6 clutch (driven)
plate reflects the size differences.

One way of solving this size difference is to fit a sedan clutch onto your TR6
engine (but this is definitely NOT recommended).

Or you can do it properly by building up a new unit using parts from the TR and
sedan transmissions mated to the OD.

A 1970 TR6 and a 1966 sedan should have the same early style of gearbox
internals. I strongly suggest you check the ID numbers on each gearbox for
compatibility beforehand. I didn't and it caused me many adventures.

Peter Hore
TR6 CF13471U (with a mix&match TR6/sedan transmission including OD)