Re: TR2000 A Type OD in TR6

To: David & Joyce Adams <trsngolf@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR2000 A Type OD in TR6
From: Chris Rodgers <The.4.Rodgers@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 00:20:30 +1300
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hey there

I think that the input shafts on TR6 and 2000 boxes may differ, and the
TR6 overdrive has more balls to cope with the torque (esp. in 150 bhp PI
state) including stronger accumulator spring, for instance.

This also allows the overdrive to be use in 2nd on TR6's, can anyone
tell me if this was the same on the later J type box, which I believe is
fundamentally less capable, while smaller?

Apart from this, the boxes are virtually identical, and you could
doubtless tack the OD unit from the 2000 on to the TR6 box, and use it
only on third and top.

I had considered changing various mechs. in the OD unit to cope with 2nd
gear use in my 2500 estate, but I don't plan it to be a hard out racer,
so there's little need.

A general observation about A vs. J type is that A type response is
better/smoother on my A equipped car.  Mind you that develops far less
horses/torque than my J equipped car which probably has somthing to do
with it....

(Just the ramblings of a Triumph obsessive...)

Seeya.

Chris