Re: '76 to 73 TR^6 tranny compatible?

To: jbonina@nectech.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '76 to 73 TR^6 tranny compatible?
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:21:29 EST
In a message dated 98-02-19 10:23:16 EST, jbonina@nectech.com writes:

<< Will a '76 bolt on, no hassle, to a '73. Both trannies are non
      overdrive. Is there a simple way to check for wear or breakage on an
      un-installed tranny? >>
As a complete replacement, a 76 gearbox will fit right into a 73. Installation
will be a "straightforward reversal of removal" - a famous over simplification
often seen in manuals, but other than realigning the clutch this is generally
true in this case. I have a 75 TR6 gearbox with j-overdrive that i plan on
putting
in my 73 TR6 when i put it back together.
It should'nt matter, but you might want to note that the gear ratios are
slightly different from 73 to 76 and all internal parts may not be
interchangeable.
To check for obvious wear, its pretty easy to take off the top cover and have
look. I'm no expert on  the internals, so I hope someone else on the list will
give you more specific tips on what to look for.
IMHO $275.00 is a VERY good price.
Hope this helps.
Good luck !
Jack Mc