'76 to 73 TR^6 tranny compatible?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '76 to 73 TR^6 tranny compatible?
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:28:00 -0500
     My '73 TR6 tranny is wearing; parts/pieces of metal are falling out
     when changing the fluid. Considering the bearing noise (?) it makes
     when in neutral without the clutch depressed, it still seeems to shift
     ok although I'm not sure how many more miles it will still be ok.

     I have an opportunity to purchase a previously re-built tranny from a
     '76. The seller says he will stand behind it (I wonder if he'll stand
     behind it on a hill?) His price $275.

     Will a '76 bolt on, no hassle, to a '73. Both trannies are non
     overdrive. Is there a simple way to check for wear or breakage on an
     un-installed tranny?

     As always, thanks for all you help.