RE: TR6 ignition wires opinions

To: "'Craig & Karen Bentley'" <mmbent@email.msn.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 ignition wires opinions
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:27:51 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Craig,

I know exactly what you mean about the speed shops and their v8 slant. I
went through this exact same process last summer. At the time I was
hoping to get some original style green wires (my car still had the
original Lucas Rists wires then). No luck anywhere...

So off I went to the speedshops to see what they had. All sorts of wires
(Accel and some others) available in v8 do it yourself kits only. TRF
was backordered on the green wires (this proved to be a blessing for
once). BPNW also advertised the green wires but their are a brand whose
name I don't recall (although they are British made). A lister denounced
these wires in another post at the time as being very poor quality. TRF
was also out of the "bumblebee" wire and with those you have to make
your own anyway.

Then I noticed the magnecor section in my truchoice motorsports catalog.
A no nonsense race car supplier catalog in which magnecor were the only
wires. I did a search on the web and found magnecor's site. I agree,
they do seem to have an honest description of wires and related issues.
I sent them a query about wires for my TR6 and GTI. They provided good
answers (we had several rounds, mostly concerning the type of ends each
wire would have).

I proceeded to order two sets (one TR6 & one GTI) from a local shop
which caters to the "tricked out honda" set. Took a little while longer
than normal cause the TR6 set was non-standard (they will also make up
whatever you want and the price remains the same as a standard set which
uses the same components). When I got them, everything fit perfect,
quality and workmanship first rate.

I have had them on both my cars for about six months now and have had no
problems. I did not experience any hp gains after installing them (my
original wires were not that bad) but am very pleased nonetheless. (I
was not expecting any hp gains either btw).

So all in all, I recommend magnecor (the price I was quoted by magnecor
directly was higher than truchoice's quote so you might want to shop
around.

BTW, having written this I suspect it sounds like an infomercial but
trust me... I have no connection to magnecor. I am just a satisfied
customer. Honest.

PS. I got the kv85 model wires, they have several choices.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada