Re: More cylinder head questions

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: More cylinder head questions
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:17:29 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Allen Nugent wrote:

> Anthony,
>
> At 06:38 17/02/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Later today, I plan on exposing those bolts and tightening them much
> >further. Does this sound like a servicable plan?  Any tips?
>
> I think you'd better take the head off and use a new gasket. Was the head
> planed? If not, are you sure it was flat enough? What kind of sealant did
> you use? (Many people swear by copper gasket spray).
>
> I'll be doing this again, myself, soon. I reckon its the single-most
> insomnia-inducing operation you can perform on a motor!
>
> Allen Nugent
> Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
> University of New South Wales
> Sydney  2052  Australia

GM now specifies a selant # 3634621 (pellets)be used when replacing the
coolant.  This won't stop leaks but it might prevent some of the small
ones that crop up.  It is to be put in the radiator only not the recovery
tank. It may be the same as the little black pellets that have been on
the market in glass jars for years.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8
72 TR6