RE: Problems after storing car

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Problems after storing car
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:03:44 -0700

Listers,

Here is what I did this weekend prior to going for a 60 mile drive (temp
was about +4 Celsius - roof down the whole time!)...

Prior to starting the engine (which still has the 20w50 Castrol) I
placed a couple of in car heaters around the engine. One I put directly
below the oil pan (aimed right at the pan) and the other I placed in the
engine bay (aimed at the exposed block). I then ran the heaters for
about 1.5 hours. When I rolled out the car it started right up and had
good pressure (in fact my normal pressure) the whole time I ran the
engine (over an hour).

Since during this winter I plan to drive the car at least once a month
(weather permitting) unlike other winters in the past, I am taking this
precaution each time it is slightly cool outside. I did not however feel
like changing to a lower viscosity oil just for a few drives in the
winter. I think next spring I may finally go the synthetic route,
especially since this fall I replaced the last of the offending leaking
seals (the front and associated gaskets). With synthetic the temp range
over which the oil remains fluid is much greater. (all sorts of other
benefits as well...)

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada