Re: Trailers and old age

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@inline-tech.com>
Subject: Re: Trailers and old age
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 18:02:03 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mike Rambour wrote:

>   Over the years I have driven my Singer to Monterey for the Laguna Seca
> races and various British car days in the bay area.  Now the Singer is
> getting old ( I am not of course ) and although it has never broken down,
> it has put us on the side of the road for anywhere from a few minutes to 3
> hours (once) while I took care of minor mechanical problems that are
> usually associated with old British cars.  Last time with a kid in diapers
> the wife did not appreciate it when I suggested we might have broken down
> and might have to call a tow truck, thank goodness I was mistaken and the
> car was merely testing my roadside mechanical knowledge and testing my
> roadsides spare inventory ( I passed ).
>
>   This year the wife has suggested she follow me up in her old faithful (
> 1996 Honda ) while I enjoy the drive up.  This got me thinking that maybe
> she should follow me up in my  '92 Toy pickup with a tow bar handy (in case
> the Toyota breaks down and the Singer has to tow it home :-) ).  After
> that, my wife suggested, that maybe its time for a trailer (great wife,eh)
> but wow those things are expensive.  Her reasoning is that we could take
> the car more places and would get out more often if we could trailer the
> car there.  I looked into renting trailers but U-Haul has super heavy duty
> trailers that weigh more than the car and at $40/day.  Another place I
> tried has the perfect small flatbed trailer but wont rent it for to anyone
> who does not have a 3/4 ton truck.  All I have is a Toy 4X4 pickup, long
> ways from 3/4 ton.  I borrowed a friends tractor trailer from his farm a
> few years ago to tow a 'new' Singer home and the trailer alone weighed
> 2,000lbs and my Toy had a hard time pulling the trailer empty, it was
> really bad with the Singer.
>
>   The Singer is a small 1,500lbs, 12foot long car so it does not have to be
> a big heavy duty trailer, any suggestions on where to find one reasonably.
> I am looking in the newspaper and looked through Hemmings ( found a ad for
> a build it yourself aluminum trailer, you save money by building yourself
> and pay more for the aluminum then you saved ).  I do have a MIG and
> Oxy/Acet torch but I would not call myself a great welder.  Any suggestions
> ? This sounds like a cool idea to me and my wife is right there have been
> times when I didn't go to a Brit meet because I was not sure the Roadster
> would make it.  Yes, I know cars (especially Brit cars) are meant to be
> driven but when you are several hundred miles from home (or 1,200 miles
> from home one time) in a 1953 Singer you do occasionally wonder what that
> rattle is that was not there a few minutes ago.
>
>         mike
>
> ~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ or ~~~~~~~~~~~
> Mike Rambour                  .oooO  Oooo.         __._._.  O (Yahoo!)
> bug-writer..er..programmer    (   )  (   )      ____ ._..  /\,
> In-Line Technologies, Inc.     \ (    ) /                 -|~(*)
> [...]

Mike, three things come to my mind
what is the difference in 200 miles or 2000 miles-drive it
second what is the fun of having a car to drive once you get there (what
if it breaks down after 10 miles)
third if you only feel safe with a trailer sell the car.
you sound like you are defeated before you start, gee where will I
break-down this time and for how long, Mike I drive a 1931 "A" every nice
day in the summer, never think of breaking down. I also tee-up my very
best ball at every water hole just to make sure I clear it. Preventive
maintenance makes 2000 mile trips seem like 200. sorry just my feelings
on LBC & trailers.