Re: [Fwd: Rust elimination]

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Rust elimination]
From: "George P. Richardson" <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:59:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Oh,  I got rid of the rust. It can trap moisture and oxygen in it's pores
that make problems for the paint, which can in turn allow addtional oxygen
in for further rust. On my Chevy, I've just brushed off the rust and used a
good helping of touch up paint to cover it. After 4 years, no addtional rust
has formed. Why? Because although the rust is still there, it has no
external source of oxygen.

The bulging in the paint is caused by rust forming (or continuing to form)
from trapped oxygen, or by trapped moisture heating and cooling. If the
paint bubble doesn't burst, eventually rusting stops as the trapped oxygen
is used up. Rust *must* have an external source of oxygen and can't use the
oxygen bound up in existing rust (iron oxide).

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L
(getting ready to paint - and now on the web!)
http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm