tr6 front end

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 front end
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:30:40 -0700
This weekend I am contemplating the installation of some new tie rod
ends and upper ball joints on my TR6. I also have new steering rack
boots so I will be replacing the old ones. Last summer I replaced all
bushings and shocks (with Spax adjustable). This fall new rack bushings
were installed while changing the timing chain, front seal and gaskets.

My question concerns the steering rack boots. Is there anything I should
do while I have the boots off the rack? I have no idea what I will find
once in there (although my steering works just fine). What I am
referring to are such things as:

- should I clean all the stuff the boots cover?
- should I avoid messing with this stuff altogether?
- although I used grease the last time, should I switch to gear oil for
the lube once I have it all cleaned up and the new boots on?

PS. I will be replacing the sway bar links as soon as TRF has some in
stock (backordered for now).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)