Re: SMOG II update

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: SMOG II update
From: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:03:27 -0500
Cc: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe Curry wrote:
<<snip>>

> On a personal note, In Washington (Seattle Metro area) Dyno's are used
>
> in smog testing.  However, If you have a 4wheel drive vehicle, they
> don't put the car on the dyno.  they just run the standing tests.  I
> don't know, but I think it's due to drive train breakage and the
> state's
> liability.  Both of my daily drivers are 4x4 and the others are too
> old
> to require testing, so I escaped.

<<snip>>

FWIW

    In Ohio, in certain counties we have theses dyno E-checks also.   I
have heard a rumor that they damaged a lot Subaru(s).
     But if you cars listed  in NADA (spelling) and some other books as
a classic you can get or keep you collector car plates which are exempt
from e-checks.  Actually it gets more confusing, if you had collector
car plates since or before 1996 you are exempt from the one time
E-checks on collector car plates.  I  guess what happen  the number of
collector car plates issued went through the roof in the last two
years.  The only rule for getting collector car plates was that that car
could not be you only or primary car.   And they missed the one time
e-check rule in their rule book.   So now if you want collector car
plates your has to pass an e-check only on the first year you apply for
collector car plates and is exepmt from inspections from then on.  As if
they ever really had a rule book that they followed.  Well enough of
this

Dave Simpson
NE Ohio