SMOG II update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SMOG II update
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 98 09:18:36 PST
All (esp. Calif. listers),

I read in the paper this AM that the dynometer smog testing which was
originally scheduled for implementation March 1, has been postponed 'till
May 1.  The Bureau of Automotive Repair apparently claim software glitches,
and the inability of the 3 companies that suppy the dynometers to meet demand.
A spokesperson for one of the three companies retorts that they are having
no such supply problems.

My own feeling is that BAR are having even further problems, such as the
inability to decide upon min/max NOX levels; a standard has yet to be
published for older vehicles.

A word of advice, given that the May 1 date is now firm, and if your
registration is due before August 1, get thee to a smog station
BEFORE May 1 and have your car tested under the old (existing) standards.
This is because your smog check is good for 90 days.

I'm bummin', because Rags' registration falls on August 14 :(

A question for the list; if I put SuperTrapps on my car, to enable the
test probe to be inserted in the exhaust, I would have to remove the
baffles.  Can a smog station refuse to test my car because of the
noise it would make?  It certianly would not affect its "pollution
perfromance".

        Shane Ingate in San Diego