Re: Arc welders

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Arc welders
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@idirect.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:30:26 -0500
Cc: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Malcom,
The arc welder for $150 is a cheapie that barely works. I have one that
I bought on sale for $75 in a clearance sale of returned goods. The only
success that I've been able to get out of it is by using 1/16" rods. I
can't hold a steady arc with the larger sizes. You can't weld sheet
metal with this unit. It will burn right through. It is OK for working
on heavier steel like 1/8" or 1/4".
The MIG welder that I know of at CTC is a flux weld only unit. It
doesn't have the gas adapter or else it is an extra. Check this out
carefully. I have not tried flux welding but from friends that have it
works great but is more work to clean up the flux after welding. The
clean up is easier than the arc weld flux as it is not as hard. For nice
clean welds go for the MIG gas outfit. I bought a Lincoln and ended up
paying close to $1000 after all the pieces were added up. The gas is
relatively cheap and I rent the cylinder for about $55 a year.
Costco also has a Lincoln MIG welder but it doesn't have the gas
adapter. Check out Home Depot as well as they carry the both flux and
MIG units.
I chose the Lincoln for quality, reliablity, servicability, and longer
term resale value.
Hope this helps. You can contact me if you have any more questions but
I'm not a welder, just an amateur weekend "toy" fixer.

Vic Whitmore
76 Triumph Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario