Arc welders

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Arc welders
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:57:49 -0800 (PST)
Canadian Tire has a sale on MIG welders this week.

Has anyone ever bought one from them?  The two machines in question are
both 115V, 70A units... one is a wire-feed and the other uses flux-wrapped
wire.

I'd like to know experiences and advice... most pressing of course- will
they weld sheet metal without wrecking it?

The cheap one is $150 cdn.  Features appear to be spartan.  It's got a big
knob on the front and a switch, little else.  It's red.

The nicer one (I am thinking of this one...) is $350.  It's got a smaller
picture in the flyer but it looks like there are more controls on the box
and it's a wire-feed.   I don't know where/how the gas is supplied.  The
flyer blurb says "With electronic wire speed control.  Requires no gas
regulator to weld.  Runs on 115V input power.  Welds up to 3/16" steel".

Please respond ASAP, the sale ends this sunday (15th)

thanks,
-Malcolm