Re: Question I'm afraid to ask

To: boylston_st@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Question I'm afraid to ask
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:49:56 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Illegal-object: Syntax error in References: value found on gateway.ukaea.org.uk:References: <md5:202B977D02F5CE9A96E4A7EFDB126B58> ^-illegal end of message identification
Been there, done that.

Blow by f sure, check you compression's, you should
find them down.  They should go up for a bit if you
put a bit of oil in the cylinders.  Else it may be
your valve guides.  Try running the engine with the
oil filler off.  If it still comes out the bottom
as well as the top, then it's blow by.

How much smoke?

My car created a thick fog, and lost half an engine
full of oil in 10 miles, impressed the driver behind,
but did stop people tailgating.

You should find it worst at low revs, and full throttle.

Tried Jam?  Not that I would recommen it, but it's an old
trick I have heard of, for when your selling a car.  Of
course I would NEVER try that on on some one.

Take the engine out, buy new oversized pistons to match the
cylinder re-grind you will have done.  New piston rings,
new big / small ends, new crank bearings, crank re-grind.
Check you oil pump clearances, new clutch, check the fly
wheel teeth, clean all the gunk out.  You could do
an overhaul of the cylinder head a the same time.
New cam if needed, valve guides, push rods, timing
chain, timing chain tensioned.  The hardest part will be
undoing the crank pulley nut, this was done up to 150 foot
pound, and will hence need 300 to shift,  I used a big
two foot stilsons(thing plumbers have), 5 foot scaffolding
tube, a lot of wood in the engine, and I hung from the
scaffolding tube until it moved.

PS. you may need to eat a good diner before you attempt the
above.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot