Re: Question I'm afraid to ask

To: "Zink" <zink@pdq.net>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Question I'm afraid to ask
From: The Solomon Organization <ab096@oak-web.washington-ch.oh.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:41:07 -0500
At 05:22 PM 2/12/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Sounds like spun main bearings.
>Lawrence R Zink
>Zink@pdq.net

This question seems to be avery common one for our later spits.  Many
others (including me) have had the same problem.  Seems to be related to
changes in the carb and air pump systems.  Others have advised removing the
pcv hose t at the carb and running direct to the canister.  Most who have
tried this have relieved the problem.  But, could be other causes...we do
seem to be getting an increase in pan pressure to push this stuff out.
Spun bearings?  Dunno...but methinks this would simply cause the oil
pressure relief valve to activate and return oil (under some pressure) back
to the sump...this could cause the problem, but then why does it go away
for so many when the pcv plumbing is altered?  Wouldn't the vacuum created
at the carb relieve some of this?  Also, tripping the relief valve would
reduce oil to the top end sto a great degree and I would think we'd all be
blowing apart for a lack of lubricity!

I have puzzled over this one for some time.  But I will check the
compression to see if it is blowby (not likely I think as the car runs
really great and has only about 30,000 original and well maintained miles
on it).  There has to be a really good and logical physical/mechanical
explanation for this one!

Anyone else have some engineering answers?