Re: TR3/4 motor "frost plug".

To: Angelo Graham <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3/4 motor "frost plug".
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:15:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Angelo Graham wrote:

> Any advice on replacing the frost or casting plug in the rear of the head
> of a TR3 motor?  The plug is a thin steel disc approx. 1 3/4" in diameter
> and very thin - approx. 1/16".  Came out fairly easily. Need some advice in
> replacing it.  Would one use any type of sealer around the plug and the
> flange in the head casting?  Assume it is a friction fit that keeps the
> plug in place and you have to drive the disc in fairly square.

I think the 'accepted' method of installing casting plugs is by using a
suitable sized socket as a punch and bashing it in.

If you don't have a set of huge sockets, buzz out to the Cheapy Tool Mart
and get one that fits your plug.

I think you put form-a-gasket on the plugs too.  Probably the blue stuff
would be fine.

-Malcolm