Re: SuperSpit

To: "Will O'Brien" <hobrien@webos1.com>
Subject: Re: SuperSpit
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 06:24:21 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Will writes:
>I told everyone before on the list about my project of fitting a smallblock
>Ford V8 w/ Transmission and appropriate mods...
>I'm still deciding on the transmission for SuperSpit.  Here are my options:
>
>Ford FMX automatic transmission (got it with my engine.)
>Ford AOD transmission (Ahh, Overdrive) Needs rebuild.
>OR...(Drumroll here)
>Borg Werner T18 Manual 4 speed Transmission.  Very Strong, Light, and New.
>To use the manual I need to get a new clutch, a Flywheel for my engine, and
>a Hydrolic Throwout Bearing.
Will,
I would opt for the 4 sp, you would need some major frame carving to get
any automatic in, that big pan at the bottom is the culprit, although you
are probably going to be carving up a lot anyway to do what you are doing .
 I haven't commented much on this, and I realize it's your car - do what
you want, but I think in the long run you will not like what you have made.
 It will be a rocket to be sure, but it will be very uncontrollable,
skiddish, and scary as hell.  Not FUN, nor enjoyable to drive.  Maybe good
for the drag strip/funny car scene, but not much else.  Once carved up, it
will not be worth anything to most anybody, and not easily returned (if at
all) to original or semi/original condition.  You'll be lucky to even be
able to sell it.  I'm not trying to deter you, after all it's you car/life,
and I certainly wouldn't be one to tell anybody not to do an engine swap,
but be damn sure about what you really want out of this project or you may
be sorely disappointed.  Good luck -

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)