flooding

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: flooding
From: Ben@seiph.umds.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:11:56 +0000
I apologise as I'm asking this before full investigation - I'm wearing a shirt
and tie and want to get home from work
tonight....

The little beastie is flooding ( twin SU carbs on a dolomite 1500 engine). This
morning after I had negtiated the town
and was heading out into the country, it decided to stall when I dropped back
down to idle. It started again then
limped into a car park. Lots of petrol in the overflow pipe of the first carb
and in the air inlet of both carbs. Checked
the floats which looked OK (new needles a couple of months ago). Lifted up the
piston and it appeared to drop
back OK. The piston needle did look a little out of true when I took the pot
off.

I did get to work eventually. When I had to drop to idle the carbs flooded and
stalled, while the car would just about
start again, it was lumpy and powerless. By waiting until all surplus fuel had
drained away I could take the next
jump towards my goal.

Any suggestions bearing in mind limited daylight, tools and suitable clothing?

Ben