Re: TR6 steering rack mount conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 steering rack mount conversion
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:44:20 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Chad Stretz wrote:

> I drove a friends TR6 with the aluminum mounts, and the steering WAS a lot
> more precise.  However,  the potential damage to the solid mounted rack from
> hitting potholes was enough for me to put the originals back in mine.

I don't think you need to worry very much about that.  The Moss conversion
kit uses essentially the same mounting method (including the aluminum
blocks and U-bolts) as was used by the factory on very early TR4s (like
mine). Unless my TR4 is an unusual case, it doesn't appear to me that the
early TR4 is any more prone to rack damage than later models.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@bcpl.net

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.