Sheet Metal Books

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, drew@pixar.com, DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Sheet Metal Books
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 12:37:55 EST
On Sat, 7 Feb 1998  DANMAS@aol.com
wrote: Re: Books for learning sheet metal fabrication?

In a message dated 2/3/98 12:30:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, drew@pixar.com
writes:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for books on learning sheet metal
>  fabrication? At some point I'm probably going to be making new channels
>  for the boot of my 3A and I thought I might bone up a bit on the subject.

Drew:

1) "Sheet Metal Handbook" by Ron and Sue Fournier, ISBN 0-89586-757-5

2) "Metal Fabricators Handbook" by Ron Fournier, ISBN 0-89586-171-2

Both are published by HP Books.  Both are aimed towards automotive
applications.  Both are excellent, or at least seem to be to this amateur.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74

FWIW, you might also try "How to Retsore Sheet Metal Bodywork" by Bob Smith,
An Osprey Restoration guide # 6, ISBN 0-85045-591-X (my edition 1984)
(Sole distributors for USA: Motorbooks International, Osceola, Wisconsin
54020.)
The rear cover blurb says: A fascinating insight into what is often considered
that most skilled of all the 'automotive arts' - sheet metalwork. This is a
detailed 'how to' guide explaining stripping, cleaning, corrosion treatment,
replacement, welding, finishing and how not to repair! Author Bob Smith is
unquestionably one of England's finest 'sheet metal men'. He runs a successful
body shop.
*128 pages, 120 relevant illustrations specially commissioned, Step-by-step
'how to' advice, Material and tools fully detailed.

Hope that helps
Happy hammering!
Leon
Vitesse (nice body), Herald (getting ever riper for restoration!)