Re: sheet metal brake

To: MD.FEED@nwh.org
Subject: Re: sheet metal brake
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 16:24:40 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
MD.FEED@nwh.org wrote:

> I,m hoping to find some sheet metal wizards out there who are familiar with
>metal bending
> brakes.I would like to make some brackets and bends to replace some rusted
>out pieces on my
> TR6 -75.Can anyone advise me whether a straight apron brake or a finger brake
>is the better
> purchase.I'm bending 16 gauge max. cold rolled steel,no stainless. If I
>invest about $1000
> into a decent brake should it be for a straight or finger model?

I've built a lot of things with a finger brake. The advantage with that
machine is that one can make very tight corners for boxes, pans, etc.
Anything which requires tight flanges at right angles is far easier to
do with a finger brake. The advantage of the straight brake is that most
come with a small set of dies to create different radii bends. To do
gradual radii on a finger brake requires a series of smaller bends to
accomplish.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....