Re: Brake Rotor

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotor
From: Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 11:50:05 -0800
At 02:00 PM 2/7/98 -0500, Edward Hamilton wrote:
>I'm not sure I clearly understand the text on the brake rotors.  It
>states:  "Min Disc Thickness .325 Ins. with .230 Ins. Thickness of Pad &
>Back Plate Ass'y."

The back plate ass'y they are talking about is the back plate of the brake
pad, not the dust shield behind the rotor. If your disk measures too thin
it is too thin for the shop to turn it. They could be sued if you mangle
yourself for lack of brakes. I personally don't have a problen running a
disk .020" too thin, but there has to be limit somewhere. You will at least
have less heat dissapation with the thin rotor, but I'm not sure how
manufacturers come up with the numbers. And I'd get a pair of new rotors,
not just one, although they are a bit pricey at $60(?) a piece last time I
looked.

Brian Harper
1978 Spit