Re: TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild

To: "Robert J. Snyder" <rjsnydercpa@email.msn.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Front Suspension Rebuild
From: "Richard W. Leopold" <rleopold@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 98 19:01:08 -0400
>Hi Richard and John,
>
>I rebuilt the front suspension of my '70 TR-6 about two years ago and had a
>similar experience.  In addition to replacing the bushings, ball joints,
>etc., I also replaced the stock coil springs with mild competition springs.
>I'll bet Richard is trying to turn the vertical link while the car is on
>jack stands.  Once the car is lowered and the weight is taken up by the
>springs, the front suspension will work fine.  I also replaced my front
>suspension parts according to Haynes.  Additionally, I had the car inspected
>afterwards to make sure everything was OK when I got a front-end alignment.
>Your cars should be OK if steering is free when dropped down from the jack
>stands.
>
>Bob Snyder
>
>'70 TR-6
>'79 Spitfire

That's been my reasoning also. But if I jack up the front end of my other
TR6, I can grab the wheels (or rotors with the wheel removed) and easily
pivot them side to side. In this position the suspension is not
supporting any weight, and I'm pivoting both plus the rack and steering
column.

I sit and stare at it and wonder why. Tonight I'm going to disassemble
one side on the remote posibility that somehow I've installed the wrong
set of springs. Stranger things have happened.

Richard Leopold
75 TR6 done and drivin'
73 TR6 troublesome new project
70 TR6 new backyard ornament