TR4 STC plates (was Re: STC 65)

To: rlmcneit@cpis.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 STC plates (was Re: STC 65)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:49:50 EST
In a message dated 98-01-31 21:18:20 EST, rlmcneit@cpis.net writes:

> Mine has that plate with a STC65, though my TR4 CT33318 is a 64'.  Bill
>  Piggot explains it in his "original TR".  It was on exported models, and
>  it was part of the vin on titles  example: STC65 CT33318
>  What's odd is that not many people have this plate (it's green by the
>  way)even though most were exported.
>                        Bob Mc

Bob, Piggott's book is misleading.  I don't think the plate was put on ALL
exported cars.  I think it was put on a car when it was known that the car was
going to be sold during a later "model year."  Remember that US manufacturers
brought out the next year's model in Sept.  So a '64 Ford would be in
showrooms in Sept '63.  That meant that the Triumph dealers would still be
receiving and selling '63 cars until after Christmas or even longer.  That's
probably why they "re-yeared" them.  Some TR's were not sold for a long time
after actual manufacture.

As to who actually "re-yeared" the car by adding the plate, that is not
definitely known.  There is some conjecture that it was done by the Triumph
regional distributor or maybe the local dealer.  And it appears that most of
the cars were in California or the Western US.

The key to when the car was built is the commission number.  The records are
clear as to which range of commission numbers were built in any year.  For
example TR4's CT1 through CT2648 were built sequentially in 1961.  For the
exact date of build and to where/whom the factory shipped the car, the British
Motor Industry Heritage Trust has those records.  Cheers.

Art Kelly